Frequently Asked Questions
When did Parker Street Ministries begin?
Parker Street Ministries originated in 1996 as a ministry of one church seeking to bring change in one neighborhood. It was called the Parker Street Project. Over the years more churches, community members, and businesses began participating and Parker Street Ministries was incorporated in 1999. PSM received non-profit 501(c)(3) status in 2000.
What results do you see in the academic enrichment programs?
For the past eight school years, 95% of students enrolled in our Academic Enrichment Program were promoted to the next grade level!
What are the geographic boundaries of Parker Street Ministries?
The geographic boundaries are Memorial Boulevard to the north, the In-town Bypass to the south, Florida Avenue to the west and Ingraham Avenue to the east.
What are the demographics of the Parker Street neighborhood?
Within PSM’s boundaries there are 650 addresses. Although many homes are unoccupied and in serious disrepair, many other homes house two or more sets of families.
The 2012 AEP students are 68% black and 14% multiracial; 92% are eligible for the Federal Lunch Program; 72% live below the federal poverty level
The Parker Street Neighborhood is in the Delta patrol zone for the Lakeland Police Department. They received 9,582 calls for assistance in 2011. The breakdown was: alcohol 57, disturbance 1431, drugs 143, other 5848, property 428, prostitution 31, traffic 1601; and violent 42. These numbers represent a significant reduction from 2004.
How many students do you serve?
More than 115 students in kindergarten through grade 12 are served.
What is PSM’s relationship with Desire Street Ministries?
Tim Mitchell, our Executive Director, serves as a legacy coach for other ministries in Desire Street Ministries’ network. Danny Wuerffel serves on our advisory committee. This networking gives us the chance to fulfill one part of our mission, to share our programs with other urban ministries throughout the southeast. Parker Street Ministries continues to be a stand-alone 501c3 organization governed by an independent, local board of trustees and currently (2013) 96% of our funding source is local donors.